BY JEREMY HOECK
In its game notes previewing Saturday’s season opener against UC Davis, the USD football program released its depth chart.
Here are a few thoughts and observations on the two deep:
• The starting offensive line has two seniors (Marc Murtha, Cody O’Neill), two juniors (Matt Huffer, Andrew Schofield) and a sophomore (Derek Chancellor). Their backups have a senior, two sophomores, a redshirt freshman and a true freshman.
• Neither halfback, Trevor Bouma and Jordan Roberts, has a carry in their college career; both redshirted last season but because of injuries to others are expected to see big-time carries in 2013.
• Big question at receiver, who steps up to compliment Terrance Terry? Tyson Graham Jr. (R-Fr.) is listed at the other starter, while Austin Koch (Sr.) and Nick Meyer (So.) are the backups.
• Two backups at defensive line are converted offensive linemen, Adam Praska and Jon Maag — who we profiled last week. Emilious Davis (Sr.), Nick Jacobs (So.) and Drew Iddings (So.) are the starters in the 3-man front.
• The Coyotes are pretty solid on outside linebackers, with Tyler Starr (Sr.) and Keyen Lage (So.) on opposite sides. Big question will be at middle linebacker. Transfer Auston Johnson (Jr.) and Kyle Guziec (Jr.) will man the middle as starters.
• At one cornerback spot, USD lists Steve Tellefsen (Jr.) or Jarrid Bryant (Sr.), the transfer from Arizona State. The Coyote secondary will also start three seniors, so that group is pretty experienced.
• Touted freshman kicker Miles Bergner is listed as the starting punter and placekicker, with Brian Saakvitne (R-Fr.) as the backup.