Here we go with round 2. For reference sake, I went 38-6 in the first round. (My picks are underlined.)
Yankton (7-3) at O’Gorman (6-3), 6:30 p.m.
- Long History – This is the 13th meeting between the Bucks and Knights in the post-season (6-6). Half of those games were in the Class 11AA championship.
- Yankton – opened post-season with 44-20 win over Aberdeen
- O’Gorman – beat Yankton 54-14 in quarterfinals last season.
- On a personal note, if there is one pick I want to be wrong on, it’s this one. There is always a better mood around the office when Yankton is winning.
Brookings (5-5) at Washington (9-0), 5 p.m.
- Washington – Outscored last 3 opponents 154-17 (Yankton, Stevens, Roosevelt) since scare at Pierre on Sept. 28 (27-20)
- Brookings – winners of 3 of last four
Pierre (7-3) at Brandon Valley (9-0), 7 p.m.
- Brandon Valley – beat Pierre 42-27 on Oct. 12; Only 3 ESD schools have beaten Lynx in the post-season, one is Pierre (2004).
- Pierre – Defense has held opponents to 1 TD in 5 of 7 wins. Season-low for points is 20 (SFW)
Lincoln (7-3) at Roosevelt (7-2), 8 p.m.
- At home – Each team has played seven games at Howard Wood Field this season.
- Lincoln – beat Roosevelt 36-35 in OT on Sept. 8.
- Roosevelt – Loss to Washington in regular season finale ended 5-game win streak.
Chamberlain (3-6) at Dell Rapids (8-1), 7 p.m.
- Quarterfinal Rematch – Cubs and Quarriers met in last year’s quarterfinals. Dell Rapids won 47-0 on the way to Class 11A title.
- Dell Rapids – Have scored more than 50 points in two of last three games.
Hot Springs (7-2) at Todd County (8-1), 6:30 p.m.
- Hot Springs – Have won four straight games by a combined 179-26.
- Todd County – Have won five straight since loss to Chamberlain
West Central (6-3) at Harrisburg (7-2), 7 p.m.
- Harrisburg – beat West Central 26-20 on Sept. 21.
Dakota Valley (7-2) at Spearfish (7-3), 7 p.m.
- Spearfish – Have won 3 straight by a combined 149-0 after back-to-back losses (Harrisburg, Huron)
- Dakota Valley – won back-to-back nail-biters over Tea Area after consecutive losses to Dells, Tri-Valley.
Custer (5-4) at Winner (9-0), 6:30 p.m.
- Winner – had shut out 4 straight opponents before 51-6 win over Bon Homme in opening round. 5 shutouts overall, only St. Thomas More (56-31), Valentine NE (32-14) have broken 10.
- Custer – had lost two straight before win over Bennett County in opening round.
St. Thomas More (7-2) at Flandreau (9-0), 6:30 p.m.
- Flandreau – have 5 shutouts this season. Only 2 opponents have scored more than 1 TD (Deuel, Tri-Valley)
- St. Thomas More – Have won 5 straight since loss to Hot Springs by a combined 244-28.
Deuel (7-2) at Tri-Valley (8-1), 7 p.m.
- Tri-Valley – Defending champs have won 5 straight since loss to Flandreau.
- Deuel – Have won 4 straight since loss to Roncalli.
Parkston (7-2) at Roncalli (9-0), 6:30 p.m.
- Back In The Saddle – Neither team was in the post-season a year ago. Roncalli made the semifinals in 2010. Parkston last made playoffs in 2007 (lost to Roncalli in first round)
- Parkston – avenged loss to Wagner with first-round victory, 7th straight win after 0-2 start (Winner, Wagner)
- Roncalli – has shut out five opponents this season. Has only allowed 2 opponents to break 10.