In what I’d call the first example that the University of South Dakota is indeed nearing the Summit League, the 2010 USD soccer schedule was released Wednesday.
The 18-game slate for the Coyotes not only includes six Great West Conference games but also six contests against Summit League foes — a conference USD joins in 2011-12.
Here’s an inside look at the 2010 schedule for the Coyotes:
- Nine home games, nine road games
- Season opener Aug. 20 at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
- Six straight home contests starting Aug. 27. During that stretch, the Coyotes will host Missouri-Kansas City (Aug. 27), IUPUI (Sept. 4), Western Illinois (Sept. 6), Creighton (Sept. 9), Idaho (Sept. 11) and Eastern Washington (Sept. 17)
- Then comes a game against South Dakota State on Sept. 19
- Following that rivalry game, USD will travel to North Dakota State (Sept. 26), Drake (Sept. 30) and Northern Iowa (Oct. 3) before beginning Great West action. Quite a stretch there, huh?
- The Great West Championship will be held Nov. 5-8 in Houston, Texas
Another tough schedule with a new coach for USD, which was 4-12 last fall — all four wins coming against rival North Dakota. It’s obvious USD is gearing up for Summit League action by playing six contests against future conference foes — including a home & home against Western Illinois.
And three straight Great West contests to close the regular season is nice to gear up for the postseason tournament down in Texas.